Recipe: Egg Roll in a Bowl (with protein variations)
Quick stove top meals are great recipes to have in your dinner repertoire. Including different cuisines within these can help ensure some of your go-to recipes feature a variety of ingredients and flavor profiles. This veggie-heavy egg roll in a bowl is versatile and allows for easy mixing and matching of proteins, veggies and even toppings. And if you’re feeling really adventurous, this dish works great as a breakfast skillet. Can’t quite see it? Just add an egg! Make it a plate method meal by serving with leftover rice or wrapping it all up in a tortilla for an Asian-inspired burrito.
Egg Roll in a Bowl (with protein variations)
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 package firm tofu, pressed (14 oz)
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce or tamari, divided
- 2 tsp garlic powder, divided
- 1 bag shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix (10 oz)
- 4 C white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 C shredded carrots
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Optional: sliced green onion, sesame seeds, soft boiled egg, sriracha, fresh limes, sweet chili sauce.
- Heat 1 tsp of sesame oil in frying pan on stove over medium-high heat. Crumble tofu and add to pan. Add 1 Tbsp soy sauce/tamari and 1 tsp garlic powder. Stir and cook until tofu starts to brown, about 10 minutes.
- While tofu is cooking, dice red onion into 1-inch pieces.
- Remove tofu from pan.
- Add remaining sesame oil to same frying pan tofu was in. Add shredded cabbage, sliced mushrooms, diced onion, and shredded carrots to pan with remaining soy sauce/tamari. Cook until veggies start to soften, about 4-5 minutes. Add remaining garlic powder and ground ginger to pan. Stir and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve ¼ cabbage mixture in a bowl topped with ¼ tofu. Add optional toppings and enjoy!
For the tofu: tempeh, ground turkey, ground chicken, ground pork, or shrimp
For the oil: coconut oil or avocado oil
For the soy sauce: hoisin or coconut aminos
For the cabbage: riced cauliflower, broccoli slaw
Make it plate method by adding cooked rice or noodles