Recipe: Banana Chocolate Chip Protein Mug Cake
December 29, 2022RecipesRecipes: Fall & Winter
This recipe is intended to be made with the simple baking ingredients that you hopefully already have on hand when wanting a single serving baked good! The intentional addition of the protein powder will help to balance the carbohydrates from the banana to give you that flavorful, banana-bread-inspired mug cake without the sugar crash. You may also swap out the chocolate chips for chia seeds, walnuts, or raisins for a little extra fiber!
Banana Chocolate Chip Protein Mug Cake
- 1/2 large banana
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp almond flour, or flour of choice
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 scoop protein powder (vanilla, chocolate, or unflavored)
- 2-3 Tbsp dark chocolate chips
- In small mixing bowl, mash banana with fork.
- Add maple syrup, egg, and vanilla extract to banana. Stir to combine.
- In microwave-safe mug, add almond flour, baking soda, cinnamon, sea salt, and protein powder. Stir to combine.
- Add banana mixture to mug. Mix to cake batter consistency. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Microwave 1 minute, 45 seconds to 2 minutes, 15 seconds, depending on microwave power.
- Cool 2-3 minutes before eating.
- For the maple syrup: honey
- For the protein powder: unflavored collagen peptides
- For the egg: flax “egg” (Mix 1 Tbsp ground flax seed with 2 1/2 Tbsp water in small bowl. Let sit 5-10 minutes to reach gel consistency.)
- For the chocolate chips: chia seeds, flax seeds, walnuts, or raisins
Recipe modified from: Half Baked Harvest