Recipe: Ratatouille with Roasted Tomato Vinaigrette
September 30, 2022RecipesRecipes: Fall & Winter
Want to feel like a chef in your own home? Try out this delicious veggie dish inspired by the flavors of Italy that will likely be a crowd-pleaser. This ratatouille is packed with over 50% of your daily recommended intake of vitamin A. It’s high in fiber, vitamin C, manganese, potassium, and healthy fats to help absorb these nutrients. That means that this dish is as good for your heart as it is for your stomach! Grab some fresh ingredients and prepare to make this a super-star side dish or a flavor punch of a topping for pasta or bowls.
Ratatouille with Roasted Tomato Vinaigrette
- Olive oil cooking spray or parchment paper
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 zucchini
- 2-3 Campari tomatoes
- 2 tsp avocado oil
- 1 shallot, coarsely chopped
- 3 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 C balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt, plus more, to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, plus more, to taste
- 5-6 fresh basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- 2-3 Tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus more for garnish
- 2 sprigs of oregano (Optional)
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- Position oven racks in lower third and middle of oven. Preheat to 450˚F. Lightly coat two baking sheets with olive oil cooking spray or line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Quarter eggplant and zucchini length-wise, then cube into even sizes. Halve tomatoes.
- Place eggplant in large bowl. Add half of avocado oil, salt, and pepper. Toss to combine.
- Spread eggplant in single layer on one prepared baking sheet.
- Add tomatoes and zucchini to same bowl used for eggplant. Add remaining avocado oil, salt, and pepper. Toss to combine.
- Spread tomatoes and zucchini on remaining baking sheet.
- Place both baking sheets in oven. Roast 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and chop shallot. Place in food processor or blender with olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper to taste, basil, parsley, and oregano.
- Remove baking sheets from oven. Add roasted tomatoes to blender. Flip zucchini and eggplant. Place back in oven to roast until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Blend shallot, oil, spices, and tomatoes into smooth vinaigrette.
- Remove baking sheets from oven. Set aside to cool.
- In same large bowl as before, stir together roasted eggplant and zucchini. Add vinaigrette and lemon zest. Toss lightly to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate or serve at room temperature, sprinkled with basil and parsley garnishes.
- For the tomatoes and a lower acid version: sweet bell peppers
- For the avocado oil: another high-heat oil
- For the Campari tomatoes: plum or Roma tomatoes
- For the lemon juice: 1/4 C balsamic vinegar
- For the garlic cloves: 1 shallot
Recipe modified from: The New Mayo Clinic Cookbook Recipes 2005 Eating Well Better Health