Recipe: Bruschetta Chicken Bake
Have you ever heard of bruschetta (pronounced broo-skeh-tah)? This Italian dish is typically an antipasto (starter dish) comprised of toasted bread, garlic, and various toppings. We most often see dishes by this name in the US featuring tomatoes and cheese. Combining these toppings with chicken turns this original appetizer into a delicious entrée.
Tomatoes are often a key ingredient in bruschetta dishes. They add bold flavor and are loaded with antioxidants such as vitamin C and lycopene, which aid the body’s natural defense system. Tomato products and cooked tomatoes often have different flavor profiles than raw. While red tomatoes are acidic and great for cooking and making sauces, brown and purple tomatoes can be more complexly flavorful with less acidity. Change up the serving method or type of tomato and see just how much it can elevate your dish!
Tomatoes are one of the easiest plants for beginner gardeners to grow! Learn more about how to start your very own beginners garden here and soon you’ll be using your very own produce in your recipes!
Bruschetta Chicken Bake
- 6 Roma tomatoes
- ½ C fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or 1-2 tsp minced garlic from a jar)
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 lbs chicken breast (about 3-4 breasts)
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Balsamic glaze, optional
- Preheat the oven to 375˚ F.
- Chop Roma tomatoes into small pieces, roughly ¼-inch in size. Add to a large bowl.
- Roughly chop basil and garlic. Add to large bowl with tomatoes.
- Add vinegar and half the salt and pepper to large bowl with tomatoes, basil, and garlic. Toss ingredients together to combine.
- Lay chicken breasts flat on bottom of large baking dish. Season with remaining salt and pepper.
- Spoon tomato mixture over top of the chicken and use a spatula to spread mixture evenly over chicken. Top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165˚ F.
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze, if desired, and serve warm.
- For the Roma tomatoes: grape or cherry tomatoes (halved)
- For the mozzarella cheese: dairy-free mozzarella or fresh mozzarella
- For the chicken breast: cod fillets (baked 15-20 minutes, depending on size and thickness)
Recipe modified from: The Pinning Mama