Recipe: Banana Coconut Chia Seed Pudding
Light, sweet, satisfying, and chilled – an important consideration for a summertime snack! This pudding is super simple to whip up but does need a bit of time to chill to achieve the optimal thickness, thanks to the chia seeds. Chia seeds are the star of the show in more ways than one. Not only do they make the pudding consistency possible, they are also a rich source of omega-3 fats and fiber. Chia seeds also work well to thicken smoothies and can even be used as a binder to replace eggs in baking.
This recipe is easily doubled for a make-ahead snack to feed a crowd or to portion out for multiple servings to enjoy throughout the week. Customize your flavor creation by mixing and matching ingredients listed in the ‘swaps’ section.
Banana Coconut Chia Seed Pudding
- ½ medium banana
- 1½ Tbsp chia seeds
- ¾ C coconut milk, unsweetened and refrigerated (not canned)
- 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- Sea salt, to taste
- Mash the banana into the bottom of a small bowl.
- Add the chia seeds, coconut milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and sea salt.
- Stir well to combine ingredients.
- Pour mixture into an airtight container and store in the fridge for 4 hours or more before consuming.
- Serve chilled. If desired, add more liquid to achieve thinner consistency or more chia seeds or banana pieces to thicken.
For the banana: 1/4 C crushed pineapple or 1/4 C mixed berries
For the coconut milk: unsweetened almond, cashew, or soy milk