Recipe: Farro Salad with Chickpeas, Cranberries, & Walnuts
August 29, 2022Recipes
Want a hearty grain salad that is sure to please all year round? Loaded with antioxidants, omega 3’s, fiber, B, C, and A vitamins, and minerals such as magnesium, zinc, and copper, this dish is extremely nutrient-dense. If you’ve never tried farro, this is your chance! This ancient relative of wheat provides a nutty flavor and dense texture. This farro salad can be served warm or cold and is perfect for meal prep!
Farro Salad with Chickpeas, Cranberries, & Walnuts
- 2 C water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 C uncooked farro, rinsed
- 2 C spinach, torn or roughly chopped
- 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 C dried cranberries
- 1/2 C walnuts, toasted
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or 3-4 tsp jarred minced garlic)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- In large pot on stove over high heat bring 1/2 tsp salt and water to boil. Add farro. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until water absorbs.
- Meanwhile, in small mixing bowl, whisk dressing ingredients until combined.
- Pour cooked farro into strainer. Rinse with cold water until slightly cooled.
- Place farro, spinach, chickpeas, cranberries, walnuts, and dressing in large bowl. Toss well to combine. Serve warm or chilled.
TIP: Serve on a bed of greens with your favorite protein to make a plate method meal. Try it with our yummy Savory Pork Tenderloin or Quick Shrimp Saute!
- For the farro: quinoa, buckwheat, wheat berries, bulgur, or couscous
- For the spinach: arugula or kale
- For the chickpeas: lentils, navy beans, or white beans
- For the walnuts: almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, or pecans
- For the cranberries: raisins or dried cherries
- For the maple syrup: honey
- For the Kosher salt: sea salt