Recipe: Game Day Very Veggie Meatballs
January 27, 2023RecipesRecipes: Fall & Winter
There’s something about wintertime and football season that goes hand-in-hand with meatballs. They are an easy way to serve up a fun, and protein-dense, entrée or appetizer. This recipe sneaks in non-starchy veggies for an extra nutrient kick, letting the traditional flavor shine through, but with a healthful twist!
Game Day Very Veggie Meatballs
- 1 large carrot
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Cooking spray (Optional)
- 3 green onions
- 2 cloves garlic (or 1-3 tsp jarred minced garlic)
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 6 oz fresh baby spinach
- 1.5 lbs ground turkey
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 C breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Peel carrots. Using small holes of box grater, shred carrot and zucchini. Evenly spread carrot and zucchini on clean kitchen towel. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt. Let sit 30 minutes. Wring out excess water into the sink.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line large baking sheet with aluminum foil. Lightly coat with cooking spray, if desired. Finely chop green onion. Peel and crush garlic cloves.
- In medium sauté pan on stove over medium heat, add 2 Tbsp avocado oil. Add carrots, zucchini, garlic and onion. Cook 3 minutes, or until carrots soften.
- Add spinach to veggies. Stir until spinach wilts. Remove from heat. Cool 3 minutes.
- In large bowl, combine all ingredients until uniform. Use hands to roll 2-3 Tbsp of mixture into meatball. Place on baking sheet. Repeat until mixture used up. Place in oven. Bake 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, turn oven to broil. Cook 2 minutes. Remove from oven. Serve warm.
TIP: These meatballs pair really well with your favorite marinara sauce or for something new try serving them with our Garlic Bacon Aioli.
- For the carrots and zucchini: diced mushrooms, finely chopped bell pepper, or diced yellow squash
- For the green onion: chives or finely diced red, yellow, or white onion
- For the avocado oil: olive oil
- For the spinach: kale or arugula
- For the turkey: lean ground beef, ground chicken, ground pork, or a combination
- For the breadcrumbs: gluten-free breadcrumbs or panko