Recipe: Roasted Southwestern Salad
This salad is a blend of roasted sweet potatoes, southwestern flavor and plant based protein to make a colorful and filling meal that is easy to prep. Whether it’s for a hearty family dinner, or for multiple lunches throughout your week – it’s a yummy twist to your standard salad. Adding in warm ingredients to any salad can take your flavors to the next level! Roasting sweet potatoes brings out a delicately sweet flavor that cools the spice of the southwestern flair from sautéed veggies and black beans.
Not only are the flavors delicious, but sweet potatoes add a bright orange color to your plate and are a great source of vitamin A and fiber. Plus, a half cup of black beans provide 7 grams of plant-based protein.
Roasted Southwestern Salad
- 2 sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cans of black beans (15.5 oz each), drained and rinsed
- 1 can of corn (15.5 oz), drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp lime juice (approx. 1 lime)
- 1 tsp Adobo powder
- 2 C baby mixed greens (approx. 5 oz)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, halved
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tomato, diced
- ½ jalapeno, finely chopped
- ¼ C fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- ½ C shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ C sour cream
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ½ C salsa
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Line a baking tray with foil and spray with a thin layer of olive oil (approx. ½ Tbsp of olive oil). Add cubed sweet potatoes and sprinkle with salt & pepper (approx. ½ tsp each).
- Place baking tray in oven and roast for 30-40 minutes. At the 20 minute mark, take out tray and flip potatoes. Sweet potatoes are finished when they are soft and slightly browned on the edges.
- While the potatoes are roasting, add remaining ½ Tbsp of olive oil, onion and bell pepper to a skillet on medium heat. Stir to coat veggies in oil. Cook until onions are translucent and veggies are softened (approx. 5-8 minutes).
- Add black beans and corn to skillet. Add 1/2 cup of water and stir ingredients together. Reduce heat to low. Add lime juice, chili powder, garlic powder, oregano, paprika, and cumin to veggies in skillet and stir together. Cook for 4-5 minutes to let flavors mix.
- Craft your salad, on a plate or bowl by tossing together mixed greens, roasted sweet potato and skillet veggies, beans and corn.
- Optional: Add 2 or more toppings of choice!
- For potatoes: white or russet potatoes, jicama, carrots
- For black beans: chickpeas, kidney beans, tofu, cooked chicken
- For tomatoes: canned tomatoes, red bell pepper
- For mixed greens: lettuce, spinach, kale, or other favorite leafy green
- For sour cream: plain Greek yogurt
- For salsa: salad dressing of choice