Recipe: Blueberry Banana Protein Oatmeal Bake
There’s so much to love about this Blueberry Banana Protein Oatmeal Bake. This filling breakfast is not only delicious, it’s also packed full of nutrients!
You may see that our breakfast recipes include oats a lot, but there’s a reason! Oats are often gluten-free (if cross-contamination is avoided) and their fiber and protein make them a great choice for a filling breakfast. But of course there’s much more to this recipe than just oats!
This oatmeal bake is also rich in antioxidants and vitamin K from blueberries and pumpkin seeds. Chia seeds, pecans, and pumpkin seeds also pack this dish full of “good” fats including much needed omega-3s from the chia seeds. The protein powder, eggs, and milk add protein. Plus, you could always add a veggie egg scramble on the side for a complete plate method breakfast!
All in all, this breakfast is a powerhouse of nutrients and is a great option for hosting breakfast/brunch or just as an option for breakfast leftovers!
Blueberry Banana Protein Oatmeal Bake
- 3 C frozen blueberries, separated
- 2 ½ C oatmeal (quick-cook or rolled plain oats)
- 1 ½ Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 very ripe bananas, peeled
- 1/3 C protein powder of choice (we recommend vanilla!)
- 3 Tbsp pumpkin seeds (optional)
- 3 Tbsp chopped pecans (optional)
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ¾ C milk of choice
- Pre-heat oven to 375oF.
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add 2 cups of the frozen blueberries to the baking dish, reserving the other 1 cup blueberries for later. Spread the berries to cover the bottom of the prepared dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the oatmeal, chia seeds, baking powder, and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Pour oatmeal mixture over the blueberry layer in the baking dish. Spread the mixture evenly over the berry layer.
- In the small bowl used for the oatmeal mixture, mash the bananas with a fork or potato masher.
- Add protein powder, eggs, and milk to the mashed bananas. Stir to combine.
- Pour banana mixture in the baking dish. Spread the banana mixture evenly over the oatmeal layer.
- Top banana layer with remaining 1 cup frozen blueberries, pumpkin seeds, and pecans.
- Place baking dish on the center rack of the preheated oven. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Cut and serve on plates. (Doing the Reset & Rebalance program? Serve it with a veggie egg scramble to make it plate method!)
- For the pecans and pumpkin seeds: almonds, walnuts, or other nut of choice
- For the chia seeds: milled flax seeds, hemp seeds
Recipe modified from: https://sunkissedkitchen.com/blackberry-baked-oatmeal/