Recipe: Veggie Avocado Breakfast Quesadilla
Try switching up your morning meal with this tasty breakfast quesadilla. This recipe is a complete Plate Method meal and is a great way to add variety to your breakfast while sneaking in some healthy fats with an avocado!
Avocados (actually a fruit!) are packed with healthy, unsaturated fats which not only contribute to this meal’s satiating properties, but can also help lower your “bad” LDL cholesterol and raise your “good” HDL cholesterol. This fruit is also surprisingly high in fiber – 1/2 of a medium avocado has approximately 7 grams! Fiber can further assist in controlling “bad” LDL cholesterol and is also important for satiety and bowel regularity.
If you’re not a fan of savory breakfasts, this quesadilla can also make a great lunch or dinner!
Veggie Avocado Breakfast Quesadilla
- 8 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 C spinach leaves
- 4 medium tortillas (8-10 inches)
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- ¼ tsp salt or to taste
- ½ C sharp cheddar cheese, grated and divided
- 1 large avocado, diced
- Hot sauce or salsa, optional
- Crack eggs into a medium-sized bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- Heat a large, nonstick skillet on the stove over medium heat. Add avocado oil and allow pan to heat for 1 minute before adding the diced onion and pepper. Cook the veggies until fragrant, about 3-4 minutes, stirring to cook evenly.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and pour the egg mixture into the skillet. Add the spinach. Cook the egg and veggie mixture, stirring occasionally with a rubber or wooden spatula, until the eggs are set and spinach is wilted, about 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer egg and veggie mix to a plate and set aside.
- Heat the same nonstick skillet on the stove over medium-high heat. Place 1 tortilla in the pan and carefully top half of the tortilla with 2 Tbsp of cheese, 1/4 of the scrambled egg and veggie mix, and 1/4 diced avocado.
- With a spatula, fold over the other side of the tortilla to form a half-circle. Press down on the tortilla with the spatula as the cheese melts, to seal the quesadilla. Use your spatula to lift an edge of the tortilla to check the under-side of the quesadilla.
- When the bottom is golden brown, flip the quesadilla in the pan to brown the other side.
- Remove the quesadilla from the pan and place on a serving plate. Repeat with the remaining tortillas, cheese, scrambled eggs, and avocado for 3 additional servings. When ready to serve, cut each quesadilla into thirds and serve with hot sauce or salsa, as desired.
- For the avocado oil: olive oil, coconut oil, or another oil of choice
- For the whole wheat tortillas: gluten-free tortillas, Trader Joe’s jicama wraps, corn tortillas (layering two, sandwich style, instead of folding, for quesadilla assembly) , or other tortillas of choice
- For the cheddar cheese: Mexican-blend cheese, mozzarella cheese, or dairy-free cheese variety of choice
- For the red pepper: green, orange, or yellow pepper
- For the onion: 1 clove minced garlic or diced shallots