Recipe: Spinach Artichoke Chicken Skillet
In the spirit of rich and flavorful seasonal dishes, this recipe highlights a few familiar favorites in a whole new way. Chicken paired with spinach and artichokes, topped with a creamy coconut sauce take dinnertime comfort food to the next level.
Artichokes can be cooked whole, but the easiest way to enjoy the soft and flavorful artichoke heart is to buy them canned. The hearts have a sweet and tangy taste and are high in fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. They pair well with the creamy coconut milk sauce complemented by ghee and flavored boldly with garlic, onion, and a bright pop of lemon.
The ghee, aka clarified butter, has the water and milk solids removed making it better tolerated for those with lactose intolerance. Ghee also has a higher smoke point, meaning it can withstand higher temperatures before smoking or burning. This makes it a versatile alternative to traditional butter for high cooking temps.
Consider pairing this chicken and tasty sauce with your choice of starch (we recommended golden potatoes) to make it a complete Plate Method meal!
Spinach Artichoke Chicken Skillet
- 4 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts (about 2 lb)
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 Tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp minced garlic from jar (or 2-3 garlic cloves, minced)
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 C chicken broth
- 13.5 oz can full-fat coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1/2 lemon, juiced (approximately 1 Tbsp)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot starch
- 2 Tbsp water
- 14 oz can quartered artichoke hearts, drained, rinsed, and roughly chopped
- 2 C fresh spinach (or more if you’d like more green in your dish)
- In a small bowl, mix basil, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Season the chicken breasts on both sides with the spice mixture.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on stove top over medium heat. Cook chicken breasts 6-8 minutes per side or until cooked to 165F. Transfer cooked chicken breasts to a plate.
- Rinse skillet with warm water to remove brown bits. Return skillet to stove and melt ghee over medium heat. Add minced garlic and chopped onions. Sauté over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onions and garlic become fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- To make the sauce, add the chicken broth, coconut milk, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to a medium bowl and whisk thoroughly to combine. Add this mixture to the skillet with the garlic and onions. In the same bowl, whisk the arrowroot powder and water together until dissolved. Add mixture to the other sauce ingredients and stir well to incorporate. Reduce heat to low-medium and simmer for 2-3 minutes or until sauce thickens. Reduce heat to low.
- One sauce is finished, add artichoke hearts and spinach to skillet, stirring into sauce to cover. Return the chicken to the skillet, and spoon the sauce over the chicken. Plate and serve hot.
- For the fresh basil: 1 tsp dried basil or Italian seasoning
- For the avocado oil: olive oil, butter, or ghee
- For the ghee: avocado oil, olive oil, coconut oil, or butter
- For the chicken broth: vegetable broth or ok to omit
- For the arrowroot starch: cornstarch, tapioca starch, potato starch, or rice flour
Recipe modified from: https://thehealthyconsultant.com/spinach-artichoke-chicken-skillet-paleo-whole30-keto/