Recipe: Smitten Roasted Beet Side Salad
It’s officially Heart Month! This unique side salad can be used as a cute Valentine’s Day side dish or an anytime side to help boost heart health with beets.
This vibrant veggie may help temporarily lower your blood pressure and is a good source of vitamin K which assists with adequate blood clotting and bone health. Beets may also help combat inflammation. As a warning: beets’ bright color is a good sign that they’re nutrient rich, but beware they can also stain surfaces (and hands) easily!
While the arugula in this dish won’t stain your hands, it will also help support your body with vitamin K. Its peppery taste also adds a nice balance for this dish’s sweet & tangy flavor profile.
This salad can be made many different ways – feel free to swap out ingredients as desired!
Smitten Roasted Beet Side Salad
- 3 roasted beets (buy pre-cooked or prepare as outlined below), thinly sliced (1/8 in) crosswise
- 4 tsp white balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice (approximately 1/2 lemon)
- 2 tsp grainy Dijon mustard
- ¼ C extra virgin olive oil
- 3 C arugula
- 1 small zucchini, shaved lengthwise with vegetable peeler into long, thin strips
- ¼ C feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 Tbsp shelled pistachios
- To roast fresh beets: Preheat oven to 375 F. Scrub beets thoroughly under cold water. Trim off top and bottom. If beets are large, you may want to slice them in half before roasting. Toss beets with 1 Tbsp olive oil. Wrap beets loosely in aluminum foil, making a sealed pouch. Place foil pouch on a baking sheet. Roast in oven for 1 hour. Cool slightly before attempting to remove the skins, they should rub off easily. Chill for at least 4 hours before assembling your salad.
- To assemble salad: In a large bowl, whisk together white balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, and olive oil. Add the arugula and zucchini to the bowl with the dressing and use tongs to toss all ingredients together.
- For a festive spin, use a small, heart-shaped, cookie cutter and cut hearts from the beet slices. If you do not have a heart-shaped cookie cutter, skip this step.
- Serve on salad plates and top with feta, pistachios, and sliced beets.
- For the beets: strawberries or pomegranate arils
- For the white balsamic vinegar: rice wine vinegar
- For the lemon juice: apple cider vinegar
- For the arugula: spinach or mixed greens
- For the feta: crumbled goat cheese
- For the pistachios: cashews, slivered almonds, toasted pecans, or pine nuts