Recipe: Sheet Pan Fajitas
These Sheet Pan Fajitas require minimal prep and cook time, making them a great choice for busy nights. This meal is also bursting with nutrients so you don’t need to worry about sacrificing health for ease while enjoying some delicious steak.
Flank steak is one of the leaner cuts of beef and is packed with protein, B vitamins, and readily-absorbable heme iron. However you like your steak, it’s important to be mindful of moisture content to keep your steak as juicy as possible. Steak (and chicken) should rest before cutting to prevent loss of moisture. This means cutting meat to check its doneness while cooking can actually dry out the meat! We highly recommend purchasing a meat thermometer as they are the best way to prevent this and also ensure food safety.
The rainbow of veggies included with this meal from the different colored peppers gives you a bigger pop of nutrition compared to using just one color. Combine your protein and non-starchy veggies with beans/tortillas for a complete Plate Method meal or use a bed of greens for a lighter option!
Sheet Pan Fajitas
- 1 lb flank steak
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 8 oz carton white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 lime, juiced (approximately 1 Tbsp)
- 8 corn tortillas
- Guacamole (Optional)
- Salsa (Optional)
- Shredded cheese or vegan cheese shreds (Optional)
- Cilantro (Optional)
- Sour cream (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 450˚F.
- Lay flank steak in middle of baking sheet. Arrange onion, bell peppers, and mushrooms around steak. Drizzle everything with olive oil.
- Mix chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper in small bowl.
- Using your hands, rub spice mix into vegetables and both sides of steak. Squeeze lime juice over steak and veggies. Place baking sheet in oven. Cook 12 minutes or until the meat and veggies have reached desired doneness.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and transfer steak to cutting board. Let rest 10 minutes, then slice steak.
- While steak rests, warm each tortilla in pan over high heat for 30 seconds per side.
- On serving plate, assemble fajitas with steak, veggies, and optional toppings atop tortilla.
TIP: A medium steak should reach an internal temperature of 145˚F and a well-done steak should reach 165˚F. Using your knife to cut against the grain of the meat makes for an easier cut! The “grain” is the visible lines in the meat. To cut against the grain, slice diagonally.
- For the flank steak: chicken, shrimp, salmon, mahi mahi, or tempeh (adjust cooking times accordingly)
- For the mushrooms: zucchini or yellow squash
- For the corn tortillas: flour tortillas, cassava tortillas, jicama wraps, black beans, romaine lettuce leaves, or salad greens (for a fajita salad)
Recipe modified from: https://tasty.co/recipe/sheet-pan-steak-fajitas