Recipe: Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
Brussels sprouts in a salad? Don’t knock it until you try it! This spring time veggie incorporates easily into salads when sliced and tossed with your favorite sauce or dressing. The super-star ingredient in this dressing is tahini, a paste made from ground sesame seeds.
Tahini is traditionally used in hummus or as a sauce for Mediterranean cuisine but it also pairs well with the sweetness of maple syrup and tang of apple cider vinegar to bring a lovely pop of flavor to this one-of-a-kind salad.
Enjoy this entirely plant-based dish alongside your favorite main dish for a quick and satisfying meal.
Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
- 2 C thinly-sliced or shaved Brussels sprouts, stems removed
- 3 Tbsp raisins or chopped, pitted dates
- 3 Tbsp smooth tahini (sesame seed paste) or almond butter
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2-4 Tbsp water, as needed
- Sea salt, to taste
- In a medium bowl, combine Brussels sprouts and raisins. Set aside.
- To a small bowl, add tahini, mustard, vinegar, maple syrup, water, and salt. Stir well to achieve desired consistency for dressing, adding more water, if needed.
- Pour dressing over Brussels sprouts and raisins, tossing well to combine. Chill in the fridge for 20 minutes to tenderize Brussels sprouts and allow flavors to incorporate.
- For the salmon: another fish of choice (cooked as necessary) or chicken (cooked to 165˚ F)
- For the zucchini and squash: other veggies of choice such as eggplant, mushrooms, quartered Brussels sprouts
- For the tomatoes: red/yellow/orange bell peppers