Recipe: Mediterranean Roasted Vegetable Tacos
Herbs and spices have the power to truly transform a dish. These tacos absolutely deliver in the flavor department thanks to warming Mediterranean spices paired with deliciously roasted veggies and topped with fresh herbs. Roasting veggies with a hefty dose of spices allows natural tastes to intensify during cooking.
Not only do these colorful veggies provide a variety of phytonutrients, but the herbs and spices are also rich in antioxidant compounds, supporting our health in powerful ways. These tacos are a wonderful vegetarian meal but would also pair well with shrimp or chicken as an additional protein source.
Mediterranean Roasted Vegetable Tacos
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4 carrots (2 C chopped)
- 15 oz can chickpeas
- 1/2 C fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 1/4 tsp fine-grain sea salt
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 12 Tbsp hummus
- 6 8-inch flour tortillas
- 1 lemon (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper. Thinly slice onion and pepper. Peel, halve lengthwise, and slice carrots into even 1/8-inch half-moons. Rinse and drain chickpeas. Destem and roughly chop cilantro leaves. Halve optional lemon. Set all ingredients aside.
- Add onions, carrots, peppers, chickpeas, and avocado oil to parchment-lined sheet. Toss to coat.
- Add salt, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, and oregano to veggies. Toss to coat. Spread in single layer. Place baking sheet in oven, 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven. Toss vegetables. Return to oven, 25 minutes or until fork-tender.
- Remove pan from oven. Add cilantro and salt, to taste. Toss to combine.
- Place tortillas on grate in warmed oven, 30 seconds. Remove to serving plates.
- Spread 2 Tbsp hummus inside each tortilla. Divide roasted ingredients evenly atop hummus. Top with squeeze of fresh lemon juice, if desired.
- For the cilantro: parsley
- For the avocado oil: olive oil
- For the flour tortillas: corn, Siete almond or cassava flour tortillas, or Trader Joe’s almond flour tortillas
- For the lemon: lime
Recipe modified from: LizMoody.com