Recipe: Roasted Veggie Bowl
Looking to add sweetness to your meals but keep them loaded with veggies? Root vegetables, such as beets and sweet potatoes, add natural sweetness to any dish! In addition to sweetness, beets are a great opportunity to hit that often missed purple food group and may help control blood pressure. Sweet potatoes are an excellent choice for a starch as they are jam-packed with vitamin A and a good source of fiber!
Brussels sprouts (yes, the s does belong there and the B is always capitalized!), are high in vitamin C (124% daily value in a cup!) and can perfectly complement this dish with both texture and bold flavor. Paired with your favorite protein, this meal is satisfying to the eyes as well as your taste buds!
Roasted Veggie Bowl
- 3 Tbsp avocado oil or cooking oil of choice
- 2 lbs Brussels sprouts, fresh
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (about 4 C cubed)
- 3 large beets (about 4 C sliced)
- Cooking spray
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Lightly spray a large baking sheet with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- On a cutting board, slice off and discard the bottom end of each Brussels sprout, as well as any wilted or discolored leaves. Set the Brussels sprouts on the cutting board with flat bottom down and slice down the middle, forming halves. Place halved Brussels sprouts into large bowl.
- Rinse sweet potatoes under warm water then cut off the ends. Slice potato into 1/2 inch rounds, then chop each round into small cubes, about 1/2 inch each. Add cubed sweet potatoes to large bowl with Brussels sprouts.
- Trim the tops off the beets. Wash and scrub dirt from the beets and dry well.
- Place each beet flat end down on a cutting board and slice into 1/2 inch sections. Add sliced beets to large bowl with Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes.
- Drizzle oil over the veggies. Stir to coat.
- Place Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, and beets onto pan. Set in preheated oven and bake for 40 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Serve Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, and beets mixed in individual bowls and seasoned with salt and pepper, to taste. Top with your favorite protein – we recommend rotisserie chicken!