Recipe: Roasted Chicken with Tomatoes & White Beans
Is it just us, or is there something about roasting chicken that just feels like classic cooking? Rather than the typical whole chicken roasting recipe, which often requires a good bit of prep time, we’re using just the breast. The high heat of roasting speeds up cook time and creates a more pronounced browning of meats. With the technique of searing, we lock in the juices to ensure a tender end result.
We rounded it out with classic Italian pairings for a nearly complete meal. Another perk of this recipe? It’s just enough to serve two. Whether that’s dinner for you and another or just a meal that guarantees leftovers, we’re pretty sure this dish could become a fast favorite.
Roasted Chicken with Tomatoes & White Beans
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz chicken breast
- 1 1/2 C cherry tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled (or 6-8 tsp jarred minced garlic)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp Italian Herb Seasoning Blend
- 1 C canned Great Northern/Navy/White Beans, drained and rinsed
- Preheat oven to 425˚F.
- In oven-safe skillet, warmed to medium-high heat on stove top, add oil. Heat until oil shimmers in pan.
- Add chicken. Sear, cooking only surface of chicken, 3 minutes.
- Flip breast. Sear opposite side, 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and garlic to pan. Season entire dish lightly with salt, pepper, and Italian herb seasoning.
- Add skillet to preheated oven. Roast 18-22 minutes or until internal temperature of chicken reaches 165˚F.
- With 5 minutes remaining, add beans to skillet. Stir. Place back in oven to heat through.
- Remove skillet from oven. Let rest 5 minutes.
- Halve chicken breast and divide contents of skillet between two plates to serve.
- For the chicken: shrimp, tempeh, or cod (prepared accordingly)
- For the tomatoes: sliced sweet peppers (orange, yellow, and/or red)
- For the seasoning blend: dried basil, oregano, rosemary, and/or thyme