Recipe: Italian Tuna & Vegetable Skillet
We’re in a time where a recipe based on pantry staples just might make the difference between ordering take out and having a healthy, balanced meal in minutes. A few pantry items rounded out with fresh produce (use what you’ve got!) means this dish delivers a satisfying mix of protein, carbohydrates and veggies all-in-one-skillet. Quick, healthy and delicious…check out the recipe below for a meal in minutes that will elevate a few pantry staples in a way you might not have considered before!
Italian Tuna & Vegetable Skillet
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (15 oz)
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes (15 oz)
- 12 oz can (or 2, 6 oz) solid white albacore tuna, drained
- 4 oz can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 5 oz bag baby spinach
- ¼ cup kalamata olive slices, chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning blend
- 1 tablespoon red-wine or balsamic vinegar
- Heat olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Pour in crushed tomatoes and Italian seasoning blend, stirring well to combine. Simmer 10-15 minutes until mixture is slightly thickened. Reduce heat to low.
- Section out tuna from can and add to skillet in large flakes. Pour in mushroom pieces. Top with baby spinach leaves to allow both to heat through, to wilt.
- When spinach has wilted, drizzle dish with red-wine vinegar and sprinkle with chopped olives before serving.
- To make this dish Plate Method, prepare the grain/starch of your choice according to package directions and stir in. Consider chickpeas, rice, whole wheat pasta, gnocchi.
- For the tuna: cod fillets, chicken breast, chickpeas, tempeh
- Veggie swaps/additions: sweet bell pepper, artichoke hearts, kale, fresh mushrooms