Recipe: Sun-Dried Tomato, Spinach, and Goat Cheese Baked Oatmeal
August 5, 2020Recipes
Do you feel like you end up eating the same things for breakfast? Or maybe you need something that packs more of a nutritional punch? Look no further than this veggie-filled oatmeal bake! It’s a savory twist on a breakfast staple that provides rich flavor, a full serving of veggies, and makes enough to feed the entire family. Serve with your favorite breakfast meat and you’ve got a perfectly balanced, plate method meal sure to get your day started on the right foot. Give your oatmeal the upgrade it deserves – your taste buds will thank you!
Sun-Dried Tomato, Spinach, and Goat Cheese Baked Oatmeal
- ½ C sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped
- ½ C white onions, chopped (approximately 1/4 medium onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ red or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 C baby spinach, chopped
- 1 C cauliflower rice
- 1½ C vegetable broth
- 1 large egg
- ½ C crumbled goat cheese
- cooking spray
- 1 tsp whole-grain Dijon mustard
- 1 C old fashioned or quick cooking oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1¼ tsp kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add sun-dried tomatoes and heat for approximately 3 minutes. Add onions and garlic. Sauté mixture for 2 minutes. Add bell peppers and cook until tender, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add baby spinach, mustard and thyme to the pan. Cook for about 3 minutes, or until spinach is wilted.
- In a large bowl, combine oats with broth, egg, and baking powder. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Fold in goat cheese and cooked vegetables from sauté pan.
- Spray pie dish or 9×9 casserole dish with cooking spray. Add oat, vegetable and cheese mixture. Use spatula to smooth mixture into one even layer.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Top should be golden-brown when cooked.
- For the sun-dried tomatoes: canned artichokes, canned olives
- For the spinach: kale, collards
- For the goat cheese: feta, mozzarella