Recipe: Sun-Dried Tomato, Spinach, and Goat Cheese Baked Oatmeal
Do you feel like you end up eating the same things for breakfast? Or maybe you need something that packs more of a nutritional punch? Look no further than this veggie-filled oatmeal bake! It’s a savory twist on a breakfast staple that provides rich flavor, a full serving of veggies, and makes enough to feed the entire family. Serve with your favorite breakfast meat and you’ve got a perfectly balanced, plate method meal sure to get your day started on the right foot. Give your oatmeal the upgrade it deserves – your taste buds will thank you!
Sun-Dried Tomato, Spinach, and Goat Cheese Baked Oatmeal
- ½ C sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped
- ½ C white onions, chopped (approximately 1/4 medium onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ red or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 C baby spinach, chopped
- 1 C cauliflower rice
- 1½ C vegetable broth
- 1 large egg
- ½ C crumbled goat cheese
- cooking spray
- 1 tsp whole-grain Dijon mustard
- 1 C old fashioned or quick cooking oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1¼ tsp kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add sun-dried tomatoes and heat for approximately 3 minutes. Add onions and garlic. Sauté mixture for 2 minutes. Add bell peppers and cook until tender, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add baby spinach, mustard and thyme to the pan. Cook for about 3 minutes, or until spinach is wilted.
- In a large bowl, combine oats with broth, egg, and baking powder. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Fold in goat cheese and cooked vegetables from sauté pan.
- Spray pie dish or 9×9 casserole dish with cooking spray. Add oat, vegetable and cheese mixture. Use spatula to smooth mixture into one even layer.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Top should be golden-brown when cooked.
- For the sun-dried tomatoes: canned artichokes, canned olives
- For the spinach: kale, collards
- For the goat cheese: feta, mozzarella