Recipe: Classic Spaghetti with Chicken & Veggies
There’s no need to eat a salad for breakfast, lunch, and dinner when trying to increase your veggie intake. Adding vegetables into traditional favorites can be done easily, it’s just a matter of remembering to do it!
We’re sharing our favorite way to get in non-starchy vegetables into a classic spaghetti recipe, adding in both protein and lots of color.
Classic Spaghetti with Chicken & Veggies
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 bell peppers
- 3 C kale
- 1 chicken breast (about 1 pound)
- 1 container of whole wheat spaghetti (or alternative of choice)
- 1.5 C spaghetti sauce of choice
- Prepare vegetables by rinsing and cleaning both peppers and greens. Chop kale into bite sized pieces (or purchase pre-washed and chopped kale). Thinly slice, or julienne, bell peppers. Set aside.
- Prepare chicken breast by slicing into cubes. Set aside.
Food Safety Tip: Keep your raw poultry/meats prepped separate from other ingredients. Don’t allow cross contact between knives or surfaces that come into contact with raw chicken. Use a plastic, nonporous, cutting board.
- Over medium heat, add olive oil to medium sized skillet. Allow olive oil to heat up, about 2 minutes. Once hot, add cubed chicken. Cook for 5 minutes, flipping chicken over half way through, on each side to cook evenly.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare spaghetti by boiling water in large pot and cooking until al dente. Refer to box for pasta-specific instructions and ideal cooking time.
- Add chopped peppers and kale to skillet with chicken. Cook for 15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked fully through and vegetables are tender.
- Add 1.5 C of spaghetti sauce to skillet and allow to simmer for another 3 minutes.
- For plating, layer saucy chicken and vegetables over a mound (about 1 cup!) of cooked spaghetti.
- Optional: Dust top with favorite cheese!