Recipe: Veggie Pizza Stir-Fry
What if you could enjoy pizza flavors in a versatile veggie-loaded side dish? This one-pot recipe turns the traditional concept on its side (See what we did there?) focusing on nutrient-rich vegetables as the centerpiece.
An all-star ingredient that may surprise you is tomato paste! Cooked tomato products are actually higher in lycopene, an antioxidant linked to numerous health benefits including a reduced risk for certain types of cancer. This bold tomato product essential to Italian cuisine just got a gold star!
Consider pairing this dish with a protein of your choosing such as chicken sausages, ground Italian sausage, baked chicken, cooked lentils, or chickpeas.
Veggie Pizza Stir-Fry
- 1 tsp avocado oil
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 8 oz mushrooms
- 16 oz cabbage (roughly 10-12 C)
- 7 oz jar tomato paste
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 C water
- 2 oz crumbled feta (Optional)
- 1/4 C pitted olives (Optional)
- 1/3 C fresh basil leaves (Optional)
- Chop onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms into bite-size pieces. Thinly slice (shred) cabbage. Chop optional pitted olives. Thinly slice optional basil leaves. Set ingredients aside.
- Heat oil in large pot on stove over medium heat. Add onion, pepper, and mushrooms. Sauté until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, salt, garlic powder, oregano, and water to veggies. Stir to combine. Immediately add cabbage. Stir to combine. Sauté until cabbage is tender-crisp, about 8 minutes.
- Stir, ensuring liquid has evaporated. Adjust any seasonings to taste and serve warm, with sprinkling of feta, chopped olives, and shredded basil, if desired.
TIP: If very tender vegetables are preferred cover the pot after step #3 to let the veggies cook through, about 5 minutes. Remove the lid before moving to step #4.
- For the avocado oil: butter
- For the green pepper: red, yellow, or orange pepper
- For the cabbage: broccoli slaw
Recipe modified from: Detoxinista.com