Recipe: Latin-Inspired Chicken and Rice
You may have heard of rice and beans, but this Latin-Inspired Chicken and Rice dish takes it up a notch. The addition of chicken provides all your essential amino acids along with the zesty taste of lime and a boost of vibrant veggies.
In addition to its tangy flavor, lime is a good source of antioxidants. Its acidic component helps to round out the flavors in this recipe. If you ever feel like your meal is missing something, you might try adding a squeeze of lime or another acid for a pop of flavor.
The traditional base of this dish is rice. If you’re like most people, you may have struggled with cooking rice perfectly in the past. Different types of rice require different proportions of liquid. Brown rice has more fiber and nutrients than white rice so its fibrous outer shell requires more liquid to cook properly. Make sure to check your package of brown rice to see the suggested liquid ratio as different brands may vary. White rice has less fiber and therefore usually calls for a 2:1 liquid-to-rice ratio.
No matter your choice of rice, this Latin-inspired meal can add another Plate Method recipe to your repertoire!
Latin-Inspired Chicken and Rice
- 1 C dry rice
- 2 C water
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-in strips
- 1 lime, juiced (approximately 1 Tbsp)
- ½ Tbsp chili powder
- ½ Tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp each of salt and pepper
- ½ Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced into 1/4-in strips
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced into 1/4-in strips
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced in half and then chopped in half moons
- Avocado, diced
- Shredded cheese
- Add 1 C of dry rice and 2 C of water to a small sauce pan with a lid. Cover the pot with the lid and place it on the stove top over high heat. Bring water and rice to a boil, then turn the heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed and the rice is tender. Avoid stirring until the rice is done! (Option to use rice cooker.)
- In a medium bowl, add chicken strips and lime juice. In a separate, small bowl, mix together chili powder, oregano, paprika, garlic powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Once spices are combined, add them to the chicken and lime. Mix ingredients together to evenly coat all sides of the chicken. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet on the stove over medium heat. Add olive oil, bell pepper, and onion. Stir often and cook veggies for 3 minutes. Add zucchini and continue to cook until all veggies begin to soften, about 5 more minutes. Transfer veggies to a separate bowl.
- In the same skillet, cook chicken until it is no longer pink inside and reaches 165 F, about 5-8 minutes, depending on the size of the strips. Then toss the chicken and veggies together in the skillet and remove it from heat.
- To serve, divide rice, chicken, and veggie mixture between 4 plates or bowls. Top with your favorite garnishes and serve.
- For the rice: quinoa, cauliflower rice, or tortillas
- For the veggies: frozen mixed peppers and onion
- For the chicken: black beans, tofu, ground turkey, or beef