Recipe: Crockpot BBQ Pulled Chicken and Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Using the slow cooker can save a lot of time in the kitchen and make for a delicious meal. It can also reduce the number of dishes you need to clean up after, so it’s a win-win-win! One portion of this recipe is prepared in a slow cooker, which means hands-free cooking despite hours of simmering to tender perfection.
This recipe packs in a lot of flavor with few ingredients. Using a pre-made sauce, such as the BBQ sauce in this recipe, allows us to focus on balancing the meal nutritionally. Sometimes cutting corners with prepped or frozen veggies, or bottled and jarred sauces makes a tasty and nutritious meal more accessible.
This dish is flavorful and filling. Thanks to the high protein content of chicken, we’ll easily stay full and satisfied by this meal for hours. Sweet potatoes make up the starch component of this meal and are a good source of fiber. Starches that contain fiber break down slower in our digestive system and keep us fuller longer. Sweet potatoes also are a good source of vitamin A, vitamin C, and potassium. Vitamin A is needed to support eye health and our immune system. Vitamin C supports our immunity and promotes skin health. Potassium is an electrolyte and helps with fluid balance and hydration.
To make this meal complete, add half of a plate of non-starchy veggies. Since we are using the oven for the potatoes, roasting veggies could be a great way to round things out. Popular favorites include roasted broccoli, asparagus, or cauliflower. For a fast and easy option, opt for a microwavable steamed bag of your veggie of choice.
Crockpot BBQ Pulled Chicken and Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ C BBQ Sauce (any variety), plus more for serving – if desired
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cubed
- ¼ C olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt and pepper
Balsamic Glaze ingredients
- ½ C balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey or brown sugar
- Option to substitute a store-bought balsamic glaze
- Place chicken in slow cooker and add BBQ sauce. Cook on low 4-5 hours or on high 2-3 hours. After chicken is cooked to internal temperature of 165°F, place chicken on a cutting board. Shred chicken by pressing firmly with one fork to secure meat and raking with second fork. Combine shredded chicken with remaining liquid in slow cooker to create sauce for serving or top with additional BBQ sauce, if desired.
- When there is roughly 1 hour left for chicken, preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a large baking sheet with olive oil, add sweet potatoes, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 25-30 minutes, flipping potatoes halfway through.
- Meanwhile, add balsamic vinegar and honey or brown sugar to small stockpot on stove over medium-high heat. Simmer until reduced by half and slightly sticky, about 10-15 minutes.
- To serve, divide roasted sweet potatoes among 4 dinner plates and drizzle with balsamic glaze. Add shredded chicken and half-plate serving of non-starchy vegetable side of your choosing.