Recipe: Chicken Pot Pie Soup
The perfect (simpler) spin on the beloved classic, this soup combines the hearty components and staple veggies of a chicken pot pie with a creamy,dairy-free (!) stock and simple seasonings. It’s versatile in that you can prepare it quickly with an instant pot or let the flavors blend for hours in a slow cooker. In the absence of a crust, feel free to serve this dish over a flaky biscuit for the nostalgic, pot pie experience. We promise it’s entirely delicious either way.
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, divided
- 2 large, boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 lb golden potatoes, diced into bite-sized chunks
- 1 C frozen peas
- 4 large carrots, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced (or 8-10 tsp minced garlic from a jar)
- 1 C low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 C full-fat canned coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Fresh parsley leaves, for garnish
For Pressure Cooker or Instant Pot:
- Add 1 Tbsp coconut oil to instant pot on “sauté” setting.
- Add chicken and sauté until browned. If needed, add splash of chicken broth to prevent chicken sticking to bottom of instant pot and burning.
- Add potatoes, peas, carrots, onion, celery, and garlic to pot and top with remaining chicken broth.
- Stir in coconut milk, salt, pepper, and any additional seasonings as desired.
- Put lid on instant pot and press “soup” button. Set timer for 15 minutes.
- Carefully release pressure and allow steam to escape. Serve topped with fresh parsley.
For slow cooker:
- Add bite-sized chicken and broth to crockpot. Cover and cook on high 2-3 hours.
- Once chicken is tender, add all remaining ingredients except coconut milk. Cover and cook on high additional 2-3 hours.
- Stir in coconut milk and serve garnished with fresh parsley.
- For the chicken: leftover shredded chicken or pulled rotisserie chicken
- For the coconut oil: ghee or avocado oil
- For the coconut milk: 1/2 C heavy cream
Recipe modified from: 40 Aprons