Recipe: Coconut Rice
This recipe offers a rich and creamy flavor that will have you wondering why you ever settled for plain, white rice. Putting the time in to properly rinse your rice can help prevent boil-overs and soaking rice before cooking helps avoid a bowl of partially-crunchy rice upon serving.
- 2 C sushi rice
- 1 1/2 C water, plus more for rinsing rice
- 14 oz can coconut milk (without Guar Gum)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds, for garnish (Optional)
- 1/4 C fresh mango, chopped (Optional)
- Place rice in medium-size bowl. Fill with water. Use hands to rinse rice in water until opaque, then allow rice to fall to bottom of bowl. Carefully drain water. Repeat process until water mostly-clear after rinsing.
- Fill bowl with water. Soak rice 20 minutes. Drain water.
- In large pot on stove over medium heat bring rice, coconut milk, 1 1/2 C water, sugar, and salt to boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer 18-20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Remove rice from heat. Let rest, covered, 10 minutes. Remove lid and fluff with fork. Transfer to serving dish. Top with sesame seeds, chunks of fresh mango, and squeeze of lime, as desired. Serve warm.
TIP: Try adding a 1/4 C more coconut milk to this recipe for extra creamy flavor. Consider using the 1 1/2 C water to rinse the coconut milk can to use every last drop!
- For the sushi rice: long-grain white rice or jasmine rice
- For the salt: 1 tsp Kosher salt
- For the sesame seeds: 1/8 C roasted peanuts, crushed
Recipe modified from: Delish