Recipe: Toasted Chickpea Avocado Sandwich
Sometimes you just need a unique sandwich. If you’re tired of lunch meat or PB&J sandwiches, consider giving this Toasted Chickpea and Avocado Sandwich a try.
Avocados have gotten wildly popular in the last few years, but there is some good reason for that. Avocados are a great source of fiber with just 1/2 an avocado providing about 7g! They’re also packed with vitamins K, E, C, some B vitamins, healthy fats, and potassium. Avocado’s high fat content also contributes to its satisfying creaminess and satiating properties!
Chickpeas, otherwise known as garbanzo beans, provide a good source of plant-based protein, fiber, and iron, all at an affordable cost!
All in all this meal is quick, affordable, plate method, and, of course, delicious!
Toasted Chickpea Avocado Sandwich
- 15.5 oz can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 2 small avocados, skin and pit removed
- 1 Tbsp lime juice (approximately 1 lime)
- ¼ C green onions, chopped
- ¼ C cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- Four slices of whole grain sandwich bread, toasted if desired
- Toppings of choice (We recommend leafy greens, sliced tomatoes, or sliced red onion!)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp dried dill
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In medium-sized bowl, add chickpeas, avocados, lime juice, green onions, cilantro leaves, and spices.
- Smash ingredients with fork or potato masher until well-combined and spreadable. If desired, leave a few chickpeas whole or chunky for texture.
- On a serving plate, spread mixture over toasted bread and add toppings of choice such as leafy greens, slices of tomato and/or red onion. Top with your second slice of bread and enjoy! TIP: Dining solo? Another option is to have leftovers for lunch the next day – lime juice keeps avocado from turning brown!
- For the chickpeas: black beans
- For the avocados: ¼ C mayo or ¼ C Greek yogurt
- For the green onions: diced red onion, shallot, white onion, or yellow onion
- For the cilantro: basil or parsley
- For the whole grain sandwich bread: whole grain wrap, flour or corn tortilla, or gluten free bread
Recipe modified from: https://beplantwell.com/chickpea-avocado-sandwich/